Group Facilitator – Animal Therapy
Janine Fox has been a State Licensed counselor in both the mental health and drug and alcohol recovery field since 2004. She held the position of Clinical Director and Program Coordinator in two residential treatment facilities from 2005-2017. Janine has a broad range of skills including individual, group, and family recovery counseling. In the last three years Janine has brought an innovative recovery modality to the treatment setting named The Healing Hounds. This organic process group consists of Janine’s three emotional support dogs and a therapy bunny named Thumper.
What the Emotional Support Animals bring to a group:
- Soothe traumas
- Lift depression
- Reduce anxiety
- Raise hedonic tone in natural healthy ways
- Real-life grounding tools
- Encourage being in the moment
- Give unconditional love
- Reduce loneliness/draw out the introverted client
- Build positive emotional experiences
- The human/animal relationship is one of safety and non-judgement
- Lower blood pressure and reduce stress
- Dogs offer a break from internal worry and struggle
- Clients react more positively to information and education with the dogs and therapy bunny present.